Skip to main content

Enjoying a quiet, rainy night

With the exception of pub street and the beer gardens, Siem Reap closes down by 9 pm.  Tonight it rained quite heavy, so I decided to enjoy the perfect weather and the music of the amphibious animal that is like a frog, but not a frog (and no, It's not a toad). 

Nobody we know can translate the name into English, but after many years of hearing it, we were finally lucky enough to see it (sorry, no photo).  It only comes out when it rains and it sounds like a calming, rhythmic zuzuvela (yes, I know that sounds like a contradiction). 

After spending half an hour out here, I decided it wad high time to crack open a beer and read a book.

Tonight reminds me why I love this town. I'll be sad to leave next week.  It's been a fantastic summer, and I think we've both learned that apartments are definitely the way to go.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overwhelming Support for Nepal

I feel overwhelmed with gratitude by the outpouring of support from friends, family, colleagues, and students. Thanks to you, we received about a dozen boxes and two dozen bags of donations!  Not all of it was completely appropriate clothing, so some of it will be donated to local homeless shelters.  That said, the vast majority will be going to Nepal.  

Shark! Jellyfish!! Turtle!!!

After my moonlit dip, I slept like a rock, as I often do when there's an ocean nearby. Unless there's also a fog horn. Or a mosque.  I woke up to use the bathroom and realized that dawn was just breaking. It was a gorgeous morning, so I decided to climb the Kanawa Island hill to watch the sunrise. It was beautiful.

ParaHawking!

A friend of ours had told us about Parahawking in Nepal. It's paragliding using hawks to find the good thermals. We watched a bunch of YouTube videos before we left, and were very excited to go once we arrived in Nepal. The parahawking is done in Pokhara, Nepal -- a 7-hour bus ride from Kathmandu. We were able to fly with two Egyptian vultures, Bob and Kevin. The great part is that we each got a falconry glove and were able to feed the vultures mid-air! In the picture at left, you see Bob on my fist as well as Tadashi and Brad in the background (Tadashi's in front). It was absolutely amazing.